Monday, May 31, 2010

4 days in San Juan

I spent the past 4 days in San Juan, capital city of the province of San Juan. Honestly, if I could choose any place to live in Argentina long term, I feel pretty confident about saying it would be San Juan. I'm not sure how much I would like the hot hot summers in San Juan (up to 115 degrees Fahrenheit,) but the fall/winter there is definitely to my liking. There is practically 0 humidity, so San Juan doesn't exhibit the bitter cold bite of the air in Parana, and it fairly warm and sunny this time of year. Also, the city is just the right blend of urban city and small town. It has a nice, relaxing (re tranqui) pace of life, while also offering a cultural scene and sufficient public transportation.

Because of 2 serious earthquakes during the 20th century, San Juan consists of only modern buildings. Everything constructed before the earthquakes was destroyed. I can only speak of the places I visited, but from what I've seen, San Juan is a pretty prosperous community. The civic center, public university, and the school of music here are beautiful and big. I've heard that the school of music here has the largest auditorium and organ in South America! I went to the auditorium on Friday to listen to a string quartet play Dvorak, and it was incredible. Sitting so close up to the musicians made it possible for me to see every movement and discern every sound produced. With most music, I don't care whether I listen to it at a concert or on a cd, but with classical music I've realized that it really is especially beautiful and moving to experience it in person.

One interesting tidbit about San Juan is that it is the birth place of one of Argentina's most notable national heroes, Sarmiento: president, inventor, and founder of education.

3 comments:

  1. San Juan must be beautiful. I regret the fact that last time I went to Argentina I was not able to find a time to get to know that incredible city you are discribing. Having the largest auditorium and organ in South America it should be impressive! I did, though, knew Mendoza and its wine production. I practised some rafting too, and it was pretty exciting. Of course I had my buenos aires apartment in the big city and went to all the must-do attractions!
    Cheers,
    Brit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christina,
    I'm sorry to use this forum to contact you, but I just received a message from your hotmail account that I suspect you did not send. If you want me to forward it back to you, send me an email...
    Elaine Shenk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christina,

    I also received an email which I suspect you did not send. If you would like details, please contact me via another email account.

    I am also sorry to contact you through this forum.

    I hope you are having a good time in Argentina.

    Best wishes,

    Lisa Walters

    ReplyDelete