Friday, April 2, 2010

Mi nuevo departamento!

At last, after all the delays, I am now in my own apartment. As mentioned earlier, I am living right across the street from the Hospital San Martin. Now, this of course has some perks (i.e. instant emergency medical care if need be), as well as some disadvantages (i.e. a lot of noise while I am trying to sleep!). Oh well, I am sure I will get used to it. I usually sleep like the dead anyways.

My apartment here is the nicest apartment I have ever lived in! Everything is brand new, and it is much more than a studio. I have a kitchen, dining room, bathroom, and nice-sized bedroom. The apartment came furnished with gas stove (eh), fridge, table, chairs, silverware, plates, bowls, dishes, pots, bed, and mattress. I am really happy I don't have to buy these furnishings at least. I already have a long list of things to buy. It didn't occur to me how easy I had it when I was living at a home-stay in Madrid, until I had to rent an apartment here. When I lived with Julia en el Barrio de Pilar, I didn't have to buy food, cook, or do laundry, not to mention worrying about buying shower curtain rods, dish detergent, light bulbs, or a broom and dust pan. Also, waiting for gas and electricity hook-ups was annoying, especially since this all happened Wednesday, the day before the start of the 4 day holiday here. So, if I didn't get gas and electricity then, I definitely wasn't going to have it for the next 4 days. Thursday was Holy Thursday, Friday (today) is the Day of the Veterans of the Malvinas War, Saturday is Saturday and Sunday is Easter. What a relief that everything turned out okay yesterday thanks to my realtor's secretary! He sent Rita over to handle all the lio (mess). I just had to be present in my apartment while the carpinter finished putting shelving into my closet.

Even though I did enjoy living with Paula, and I would prefer to have a nice Argentine roommate, I am excited to be living by myself. Now I can decorate everything to my taste! So far, I have some nice pink bathroom hand towels and a black and white rose shower curtain that matches the grey tiles nicely :-)
I am also thinking about getting a Bienvenida (Welcome) doormat where guests can leave their shoes. Since I have white tiles, I now see the merit in not wearing shoes around the apartment. I would also like to decorate my dining room.....hmmm......

Fortunately, I have not been so obsessed with interior decorating that I haven't been able to start planning for my first two lessons next week. In Literature II, I am giving an introduction lecture on Alice in Wonderland, and in English Language II, I am designing an interactive lesson on Body Language in American culture. I am thinking about including a game of Charades to make it more stimulating and fun for the students. I am most used to designing classes for children, so we shall see how University students like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment